After starting a new job, losing Internet access for a bit, and just being on the go for the last 2 weeks or so, it’s nice to finally be able to sit down and crank out something – anything!
So why not go back to an old reliable, with a full slate of Champions League matches on tap for tomorrow afternoon – eight matches in Groups A-D.
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to pick the winners, pick the score, and if you’re so motivated, provide a comment (snarky or otherwise) to support your argument. Love teams, trash teams, whatever you want to do – just get it done by 2:45 p.m. Eastern on Tuesday afternoon.
Same scoring rules as usual: 10 points for picking the winner and exact final score; or picking a draw and the exact score; 5 points for picking the winner with the correct margin of victory, or picking a draw and nailing it, but by a different score. Two points if you just pick the winner. No points if you lose. This isn’t the NHL.
The schedule is below with my picks – then below that is the current table for the picksters. If you think you aren’t interested because you’re already out of it – that’s doubtful, given some of the awful scores each of us has posted during the previous match days.
* Bayern Munich vs. Bordeaux (I keep thinking Munich will get it together, so I’m going to keep being wrong until I’m right. 2-0 MUN).
* Maccabi Haifa vs. Juventus (I’m not enthused at all right now with Juventus – and Juventus fans probably aren’t either. Picking the upset. HAIFA 1-0).
* Besiktas vs. Wolfsburg (I really thought Wolfsburg was a threat in this group going in. I also thought very early in the MLS season that United would finish second in the East. BES 2-1).
* Manchester United vs. CSKA Moscow (I don’t really see any reason why United won’t win, but I don’t find them inspiring right now. They’ll get the job done, but it won’t be pretty. MUFC 1-0).
* AC Milan vs. Real Madrid (If I really had my wish here, I’d pick both teams to lose. 1-1 DRAW).
* Marseille vs. Zurich (One game after getting aboard, I’m off the Zurich bandwagon. MAR 2-0).
* Apoel Nicosia vs. Porto (The Pittsburgh Pirates used to have a catcher named Steve Nicosia. He hit .248 for his career, which is about where I was on these picks before the 37-point outburst two Wednesdays ago. PORTO 2-1.)
* Atletico Madrid vs. Chelsea (The Blue Menace has found a bit of form CHEL 3-0).
1) 123 – writered21
2) 114 – aaronstollar
3) 101 – dkstones
4) 64 – RegularGuy
5) 60 – tomwilhelm
6) 14 – nica1004
Join in. For the money! For the glory! And for the fun! Mostly for the money.
OK, there’s no money. And, no glory.
But picking these games has to be more fun than working, right?