I know people who are fellow DC United fans who simply do not follow or support the US Men’s National team. Typically, they just find them boring, prone to stupidity, lacking character, and led by a coach who is looking more and more over-matched by the game and a federation that typically cannot shoot in any other direction but its own foot.
Today is when I pretty much have decided to follow them and walk away from US men’s matches. Sure, I might watch, but I have zero expectation or hope that they’ll do anything beyond grind out results in Concacaf and self-immolate against anyone better.
Today’s match against Italy featured nearly a complete album the team’s and Bradley’s “greatest hits” of stupidity.
- Zero ability to attack out of free play? (check) – The US’ first corner didn’t come until stoppage time and the only attacking the US did came via hoping for penalty calls.
- Bizarre subs that make little sense given match situation (check) – Explain to me how yet again Freddy Adu or JF Torres don’t see the field despite the fact we were down a goal and CREATING NOTHING. It’s time for the “real soccer media” in this country to get answers on this. If there is a good reason why Adu cannot get on the field, like he’s loafing, then let us know. If they won’t ask, then I will… repeatedly. Remember that the next time a Bradley teleconference rolls around.
- Coach’s favorites seeing time and costing us time and time again? (Check) – Beasley, Dempsey, and to a lesser extent Kljestan under perform time and time again and yet all Bradley does is play them. Beasley is done, and Bradley is the last person on earth to see that.
- Another stupid sending off (check) – Was Clark’s foul the most brutal in history? No, but it was reckless, dumb and came at a terrible time.
- Zero improvement in defensive marking (check) – Our marking against real talent has haunted us pretty much since Dooley, Pope, et al retired. For all the talk of Gooch’s size, and all the players playing in Europe, our central defenders just aren’t any good.
- Lack of leadership (check) – where was the American leader on the field today? Where was the guy trying to rally his teammates? There was none. It was the usual feckless, frightened crap from players too intimidated by the site of all these players they see on TV on Wednesday nights.
I want to go home and wash the stink of this group of soft, underachieving idiots and their dumbass of a coach off me. I am simply done with this outfit. If you want to see this team succeed at the World Cup, you ought to cheer for two out-and-out bludgeonings by Brazil and Egypt in order to force US Soccer’s hand in getting rid of Bradley. If Bradley’s still there by the time we’ve bombed out of this tournament, lost to Mexico in Azteca, and show up to face El Salvador in Salt Lake, I am watching the match with a big paper bag over my head.
Enough if enough – Bradley simply has to go.