Hello folks, I am back from Maine. I see that Ed tended the shop quite well and I thank him for that. Also, I’d like to thank my hosts, the Smith family, for treating me and my family to such a wonderful vacation. Maine is a truly beautiful place I don’t think I have ever had such a relaxing vacation.
Now, on to the news.
- United Postponed again – Yeah, it’s embarrassing all right, though reports indicate this power outage is over much of Southeast DC, rather than just at the stadium. Of course, this move puts tomorrows match directly in the path of more oncoming rain. I’ll be there tomorrow to report on all the meteorological action… and maybe even some soccer.
- Freddy goes to Monaco – I have been a staunch Freddy Adu advocate from day 1 and it should come as no surprise that I like this move. Frankly, any move to another European league of even moderate quality that will provide him consistent playing time is a good one. I will be very interested to see how he does.
- Crowd Trouble in Columbus – It’s rare that I give this guy props, but it seems Bill has this covered, and I am inclined to believe what he says regarding Crew Stadium security. Ives touched on it as well, but let me add my voice to the chorus saying that MLS needs to take a close hard look at the security procedures in its stadiums and do its best to standardize best practices across the league.
- DC bombs out of Superliga – Eh, whatever. Let’s all just move on, eh? It doesn’t matter one bit.
- US Men’s Olympic Team Announced – Nothing here really surprised me. Now the key is just avoiding any catastrophic Wambach-like injuries during the run-up to Beijing. I still think a medal is possible for the men, but it will be really tough. That said, I really like the mix on this team and I am even happier that Robbie Rogers found his way on to this roster.
I’ll have more tonight,probably on the Premiership which I am just starting to delve back into.